Last year, people (mainly my friends) were really into doing these meme things. So since I don’t want to go out in the rain just yet, here’s mine for this year.
1. What did you do in 2005 that you’d never done before?
Went to a rock climbing gym and the Schlitterbahn, played Sudoku, and paid property taxes. I still haven’t eaten an entire lemon.
2. Did you keep your new years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
According to my blog, this year I wanted to build muscle strength. That went well for most of the year, until it got cold again last month.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Jennifer had Julia Rebekah, Amy from work had Wyatt Charles and now she doesn’t work here anymore. I saw Regina Maria on her first day of life… and met her mother for the first time.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandmother died at the end of January.
5. What countries did you visit?
Just the USA
6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
Well, last year I said I wanted: “A digital camera, a husband/fiancé/boyfriend, and a partridge in a pear tree.” I still don’t have a digital camera but I do have a boyfriend. In 2006, I would like 20/20 vision.
7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Hmm… The first date that comes to mind is October 2, when my boyfriend first kissed me. I only remember it because we made a conscious effort to remember it when we were talking about how stupid it is to celebrate things like “our 2 month anniversary.”
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I don’t know. I paid off my car.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I’m perfect. I don’t know what failure is. Ok, well, I’m just kidding about being perfect, but I can’t think of anything I really failed at. Sure, there were a few times I failed to pay attention when I should have been listening. And a few times I failed to remember something I should have remembered.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Piriformis syndrome. That was painful.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
I don’t know. Tickets to see Anna Nalick, Indigo Girls, Dar Williams and Girlyman? That cute shirt from Express? Roth IRA?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
This question is weird.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
So is this one.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Invested in the stock market
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
“This is Me” by Girlyman
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Definitely happier
ii. thinner or fatter? Always the same
iii. richer or poorer? For once, I am richer
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Spent more time with my brother.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Worrying about stupid stuff.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Ah! Christmas has already passed. I woke up. I went to my boyfriend’s parents’ house and opened presents and did a jigsaw puzzle. Then we went to my parents’ house for dinner, and then we watched Home Alone.
22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
I would say yes.
23. How many one-night stands?
It depends on what you call a one-night stand, but I would say zero.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
I dislike wasting time watching TV. My favorite program this year was the news coverage of Hurricane Katrina.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
26. What was the best book you read?
Hmm… 2005 was the year of the good book. And I actually did read a number of books this year… I read The Poisonwood Bible, The Pleasure of My Company, Go Ask Alice, The Devil Wears Prada, Angela’s Ashes, The Boy Who Loved Anne Frank, Welcome Silence, Dating Big Bird, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Five Love Languages, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Plainsong, The DaVinci Code, He’s Just Not That Into You, and I think that’s it (or all I can remember)… The best books I read in 2005 were The Kite Runner and The Time Traveler’s Wife. I highly recommend them both!
27. What was your greatest musical (re)discovery?
Girlyman. They are awesome! You should check them out.
28. What did you want and get?
29. What did you want and not get?
A digital camera. Oh well, the technology will be better next year… or the year after that… or the year after that.
30. What was your favourite film of this year?
I’m trying to think of movies I saw earlier this year. Let’s just recount the movies I saw in November. I liked Harry Potter a lot and Rent of course. Saw II made me have nightmares, and I did not like that.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
On my 26th birthday, I went to a birthday party for my cousin Carol (whose actual birthday was weeks earlier!), and then my brother and I drove off to Chevy’s for my birthday party with friends. Kristi & Janice and I played with my guinea pig after dinner.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I think I can think of one thing.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
It is improving.
34. What kept you sane?
Mostly a few close friends and maybe sometimes my guitar
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Not into politics. But rising oil prices really bother me. I think that there is a lot that can be done to conserve the Earth’s supply of oil resources that is not being done.
37. Who did you miss?
My li’l brudder! But he’s back now. I also miss Riley because I don’t get to see him very often.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I haven’t met that many new people. How about Gabrielle, my roommate.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
It is a bad idea to live below sea level. I also learned that there are a lot of things I have that if I had to part with them, I would be ok with that. You don’t get to take everything with you. It isn’t the things that matter, but the people.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
City lights coming down over me
Stargazers in my head
Are we we are
Are we we are the waiting…”